Thread: Just Curious...
View Single Post
Old 07-01-06, 07:15 AM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I live in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia, so tend not to bike here much. The Panhandle is a bizarre combination of McMansion farms, cracker box plantations, and DC commuters while retaining redneck traditions and other related rural charms. Luckily Western Maryland is a short spin away.

Being easily bored with a standard route, I can mix it up nicely in nearby Washington County, MD. The C&O Canal is a good flat packed gravel path, nice for warm-up. From there, the County lanes create a meshwork that includes rolling countryside interspersed with stream, creek, and river gorges and hills and mountains that form some of the lesser bumps in the Allegheny chain. In the midst of all this is Antietam National Battlefield Park that features low traffic [and the privilege of contemplating the worst day in American history]. Interspersed throughout are small towns. Also, on the far end of the County is Greenbrier Park that allows bikes on the trails. This is for those times I need to add bruises to my list. This creates opportunity for all kinds of rides.

As it turns out, my little hometown of Leetown, WV hosts some US Department of Interior fish research facilities. I have an impromptu set of courses and ‘trails’ there for when I just need a few miles to satisfy the bike-itch. It’s also good for running and walking the dog.

If there is a point here, it’s that with some research we can find a wealth of bikin’, hikin’, and runnin’ opportunity in the neighborhood.