View Single Post
Old 07-04-06, 01:46 AM
Anthony King

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
I was under the impression that one of the benefits of MAVIC's FTS-L freehub system was ease of converstion from Shimano to Campy and back.

Is this not the case?
Correct. You don't have to replace the hub/rebuild the wheel--just swtich the freehub bodies. You need to buy a Campy freehub body for the Mavic hub. Shops that have Mavic wheelsets should have one in stock, but call to make sure. I know my shop gets caught without one from time to time. The only tools required to switch Mavic freehubs are allen wrenches (assuming you have the tools to switch Shimano and Campy cassettes). Changing the freehub body on the Mavic wheel is very, very easy once you know what you're doing. Mavic has some instructions on their website. I think they are under the heading of "freehub overhaul." When you pull the Shimano freehub body off make sure you don't lose any pawls or springs. They pop out sometimes when you pull off the freehub body, use your free hand to keep this from happening. There are only two pawls and two springs, so it isn't as if a billion parts are going to fly out. Obviously, once the Campy freehub is on you can use a Campy cassette.

If you don't want to switch the freehub bodies yourself labor at a shop should be around $15.