View Single Post
Old 07-07-06, 12:35 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel ya, Blackberry.

I'm kinda on your side of the fence. I promised myself to have more fun cycling this year. To do it for the sheer joy plus as a fitness receation to keep weight in check. The 50 miler with my sister showed me that I don't tolerate heat very well anymore, but darn it felt good just passing anyone last nite after my disasterous ride last Saturday- made me realize I'm not that bad a rider and there are still a few folks on the ladder below me. That's what made me theorize that the act of "pass&brag" is more a self-acclimation that I'm not dead yet ! It actually motivated me to keep riding, but made me realize that probably 50 mile rides in 90+ degree heat may not be possible for me anymore - but that's OK because I CAN STILL PASS SOME PEOPLE. I AIN"T ON THAT BOTTOM STEP...............YET !!!

Originally Posted by Blackberry
Very interesting thread.

I came to road cycling through the side door got churned around for awhile. Then I got spit out the back, which is where I now happily ride.

Here's what I mean: Back in the 1980s I began to do self-supported bike tours. High speeds just aren't possible on a fully loaded bike. Nor, I found, are high speeds desirable. Traveling slowly through beautiful landscapes gives you the chance to meet all sorts of interesting people and really soak up the history and culture of a place.

Then, facing my fifth decade, I did perhaps a typically midlife crisis thing and bought a pretty fast bike and tried to learn how to hammer. I entered events with names like the "Blue Ridge Extreme," bought a heart rate monitor, and competed against myself in a weekly time trial.

I found the challenge stimulating (to an extent) and was pleased to ride my first century in more than 20 years. And, yes, I didn't mind passing people. Then my back went to hell in a row boat. I won't bore you with the details, but I was in serious pain. In fact, I couldn't get around without crutches for awhile.

With rehab, core exercises, rest, etc., I've gotten myself back in riding shape. But now I ride a lot more like I used to before I got the fast bike. And I have to say I enjoy it immensely. In fact, I'm grateful every day to be spinning along, breathing the fresh air. The only thing I seem to pass these days is the occasional mailbox, but if someone blows by me and feels good about it, my feeling is: More power to ya. Enjoy your ride.