View Single Post
Old 07-07-06, 03:49 PM
AD-SLE

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rushed post. I discovered my timing chain has become loose after I acquired it used. When I first got it, it was too tight IMO. But, not wanting to fiddle with something that was not broke, I left it alone. Now, 300 miles later, I have developed over an inch of total slack. I have looked at my eccentric BB and saw some rather ugly marks on the ALU eccentric body. In short, the two pin holes look to have been hammered on with a small drift pin which now precludes me from using the proper tool. Bike is a Burley Duet.

I have a big ride in the AM and need to sort this out tonight but have not done as much resarch as I would have liked. I hope all goes well but thought I would proactively solict advice.

I will loosen locking allen head set screws and hope things rotate by hand and adjust to the 1/2 inch total play. What if things don't turn easily? I can imagine that if this ALU body has moved while the set screws are engaged then likely there is a big sloppy groove where the set screw presses against the ALU and I'll be doing this every 300 miles?? Since it is currently located "high" (above the horizontal plane) I recall reading good form is to locate "low" to reduce center of gravity. Seems anal and as such I will call it "good form". It might also buy me fresh ALU to engage set screws? Or, it was there and someone rotated above the plane to get better engagement? Thoughts? And does the fact it became loose suggest other concerns?

Perhaps my worries are for not. I'm a newbie in this area. Any advice welcome as I sweat over the Duet this evening.

A big THANKS! I meant to post this last weekend.

Last edited by AD-SLE; 07-07-06 at 04:09 PM.