View Single Post
Old 07-08-06, 08:37 AM
chromedome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all, to lump Cat 1-2-3 riders all together might be a stretch. And to assume that a 19 year old can easily become a cat 2 rider is also a stretch. The difference between Cat 3s and Cat 2s is racing savvy and experience, not necessarily fitness and strength. There's a lot of 40, 50, maybe even 60 year olds that could clean the clocks of 19 year olds.

Secondly, some of those people that you are passing are not really on the bottom rung of the bike ladder, but are quite at the top. Do you know why? Because they are using their bike exactly for the reason they got it. To have fun. Their definition of fun is not to go as fast as they can or to pass somebody else to reaffirm their status, but to enjoy their time riding, get a change of scenery, fresh air, bond with a friend, whatever. They're not out on their bike to participate in some phony competition with a stranger, a competition they weren't informed of previously. If they are just riding along having a nice summer evening on a bike ride, not being Type A for a short while during their week, then I would consider them to be at the top rung of your ladder.

Also, I think maybe you underestimated our collective intelligence, and insinuating an insult in post #16 doesn't win you any believers.

I would like to suggest that you don't go into sports therapy if you get off on passing little girls riding pink and purple bikes with sparkly streamers and a helmut on backwards. If you want to legitimately stroke your ego, find something of quality and substance, something that brings a true sense of pride, and work for it. Then keep it to yourself; somehow it's more valuable.