Old 07-09-06, 07:21 AM
AD-SLE

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The "weekend ride" update

I wonder if there would be any interest in starting a general topic where we can share our weekend exploits? Where I live I find we are the only tandem (which I am trying to change) so I need/want to hear/learn from others so I might be more effective in attracting other teams and in general enjoying the fun a tandem introduces to biking.

I will share my last two weekends and would be interested to hear what others are doing.

For the Fourth a local club (99% half bikes) had their annual Red White & Blue ride, 64/40/20. I have started to get involved and the week before had volunteered to lead the fun ride while my wife/kids sagged it. I got my 11 year old on the back as my eager 7 year old cannot keep his feet in the pedals yet. I carefully cut the cue sheet and taped onto cardboard so it fit perfectly in the center of my 3 pocket jersey. Got our walkie talkie running with fresh batteries and plenty of sunscreen. We had a blast where she was the co-pilot and radio chief with the SAG. Club had over 300 riders of which 35 enjoyed our fun ride which was aimed at getting folks out on a bike! I made two solid tandem contacts and others saw how it can be a great parent/child activity.

A few short rides over the rest of the long weekend which were fun and gets the tandem visible as I fish for other interested teams. (not a bad way to find them!) On the ride into the neighborhood things felt funny in back. Asked her to look at the tire which she claims she can't see.....well, if it was not flat before hitting the darn lip on the driveway it sure was afterward! No matter, I have been waiting for a reason to use some fresh new tires I ordered months ago.

This weekend. I have started an email distribution list to tandem owners and wanna be's. No matter how hard I try, I find both riders are also the primary caregiver so it is hard for them to both leave and join us. So sadly, even with 3 confirmed tandems in what seems to be a 5 mile radius, I have yet to get more than one tandem (me) on a ride. I showed up at the local club ride with mine and my 11 year old stoker and wife on a half bike.

We put in 42 miles of which 18 were with a big group. I was either stupid or dum and got caught up in the lead pace line by my choice. Mostly flat so we were able to hang at 22-24 mph and even pulled at 24. My daughter loved it. Fellow half bike riders were in shock and disbelief as they struggled to keep up down the small grades. All in all it was a blast but I spent my body for the rest of the day! Just toward the end a gal rode up and said "are you the tandem guy?" Not sure of this title but I was riding the only one so I said sure. Turns out she was half of a team with which I have only corresponded via email. She is excited to join us if we can solve the kid thing. It is a start anyway!

That's my update. Thanks to those who advised me on my concentric. All seemed to work fine. I will tear down and clean when time permits.