View Single Post
Old 07-12-06, 12:19 AM
matagi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wattsy_rules
What annoys me about weight loss is when I do a BMI check. Based on my current weight of 90kg's I'm still consider overweight and verging on obese. WTF, forget about the fact that my resting HR is 60 BPM, I can ride 100+ k's, swim 3+ k's and run 20+ k's. I wonder what egg head made this up?
BMI is a guide only and it is actually pretty crap. It doesn't work on fit, muscular, individuals. It was basically formulated for the "average" person and I hate to break it to you Wattsy, but the average person does not ride 100+ k's, swim 3+ k's and run 20+ k's. So guess what? It ain't gonna work for you.

A better method is to measure percentage body fat. Those scales that claim to measure body fat are not very accurate so use them as a very general guide only. Skin fold thickness measurements are sort of okay but very operator dependent - you basically have to measure in the same spot every time using the same amount of caliper pressure etc, etc. The really accurate way to do it is by immersion but that is not generally available and if anyone is offering it, you can bet it will cost.