Old 07-12-06, 02:07 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Question for my 50+ Friends!

My wife and I are planning a trip to see the fall foliage in Vermont, NH, Maine, etc., around the end of September.

Our current plans are to fly to Boston, rent a car and do a motel tour. We looked at the bus tours, but don't think we would like to be cooped up with 40 other folks for 10 days or so. In fact, I think I would be looney after that, but maybe not? However, the route that we will go will likely emulate to some degree the route of the bus in the brochure.

So, we would also like to bicycle, and are considering purchasing a couple of WalMart bikes with a bike carrier on the back of the rental car. We would just give away or dump the bikes after our about 2 week tour.

Anyone ever get a rack with a car rental?

The kind of riding we would be doing would be very modest. Perhaps 10 miles around a lake or down a back road or exploring a small town or something similar. No 30 milers nor speed contests nor anything like that.

So, some questions:

1. Anyone here from the New England States who could comment on the possibility of bicycling in the rural areas of NE? Somewhere I heard that either Vermont or NH is bicycling friendly (bike lane and road shoulder-wise) and the other is not.

2. Anyone have any other suggestions for us in any dimension on this issue?

This is all new to us. I have never been to New England, and the wife has only been to Maine once for a funeral.

Your ideas will be greatly appreciated.