bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by legot73
Let's discuss fuzzy. I read the LCF forum but don't post. I agree with most of the prinicpals and ideals of this group, and I've been consistently lowering our car use with the ideas found here.

My situation:
Wife and I used to both drive, putting about 16,000 miles on each car per year driving fuel-efficient Hondas. Two children later, she stays home and uses our family car for large large staple shopping trips with the kids beyond a mile or two. I cyclocommute 5 days/week 22 miles R/T, she takes the kids to the pool, for ice cream, library, etc. via bike in good weather. I sold my car, and keep a VW camper van as a <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=recreational%20vehicle&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: recreational vehicle'; self.ql_skeyphrase='recreational%20vehicle'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='recreational%20vehicle'; window.status='Search for: recreational vehicle';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">recreational vehicle</a>, which I can use as a second car in a pinch. We're now down to a total of about 10,000 miles/year for all cars, and more of it highway driving. I have a fast commuter bike, a bad weather/backup commuter bike, and a basket-laden "granny" bike for local errands. My wife has a <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=mountain%20bike&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: mountain bike'; self.ql_skeyphrase='mountain%20bike'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='mountain%20bike'; window.status='Search for: mountain bike';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">mountain bike</a> complete with "soccer mom" conversion (Burley, trail-a-bike adapter, etc).

I like to think I'm car light, and that as a family, we're lighter than most. On the fuzziness scale of 'car-free' to 'I drive to the mailbox', I assume I'm more toward the car-free side than most midwesterners with children.

Do I belong here?
Going from 32,000mi/yr to 10,000mi/yr with cars is pretty impressive, especially since you have young children. (Some families with young kids go totally carless, but I would think that would be really difficult...) I'd say you're car-lite, no question.