Old 07-13-06, 02:56 PM
thechrisproject
Guy with bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My spokes break, and break, and break

I seem to break spokes a lot. Even through three wheel rebuildings, I continues to break spokes. In the last 2800 miles I've put on my bike, I've probably broken close to a dozen spokes. I'm a big guy (6'2", about 215lbs), but not huge. The only thing that has remained constant through my rebuilt wheels has been the hub. I've completely replace the spokes and rim more than once, and spokes still break. Generally the spokes break near the hub, but they have sheared off by the rim at least once. It's always on the back wheel.

My bike is a steel Gunnar sport. I've tried some deep Alex Rims and now have an Mavic MA3 rim.

Is there a possibility that the hub is a culprit? I believe its a 105 hub, but it's a little worn and hard to read. It came with the bike when I bought it. Do you think the people I have building my wheels could be making some systemic error?

I'm not sure what to do. Should I try a new hub? Move to rims with more spokes? I think I have 28 hole rims right now. Should I move to thicker spokes? The ones I have now are 2mm spokes.