Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally posted by 1oldRoadie
NO, but your parents might sue!!!
I'm 28..and my parents would have laughed at me for thinking of it. It was my responsibility, my stupidity. Hell with the number of bones I broke playing street ball in a school park I would have been rich if I had been a big wimp like most people tend to be today. You play the game be prepared to pay otherwise get the heck out of the sport and take up bowling or something your grandparents would play (not referring to you directly just ranting to the wimps in general).

Take for example a recent suit against Whistler mountain and the school. On a school trip a kid thought he would be cool an hit a 4 metre gap on his snowboard. He was on a well marked double diamond trail with LOTS of warnings (on the trail head, head of the runup to the stunt AND at the base of the jump) as to injury including right on the back of the week pass he had. He asked the teachers if he was allowed to go for it. The teachers said it was a safe jump to hit as long as he was capable. He missed and ended up with a tragic injury, now left parapalegic (sp). I do feel for the kid and I feel really bad for him and his family. However he sued and won a liability suit. The mountain settled out of court and the court ended up stating that the mountain was 70% responsible (with the out of court settlement the mountain pays less), school 15% and the kid 15%. This is so not right on so many levels. Why is this. Because the mountain is offering a service to the people who are capable. I know I am not a double diamond capable rider and I would not go for something like that. This type of thing frustrates me greatly. I can see some issue with the school as they should not have allowed students to run on something even remotely difficult as it is just a school. But the kid is only 15% responsible...I call bullcrap. The school is only 15% responsible. I call bullcrap. Liability laws suck and people generally abuse them. How much more should the mountain do to warn people of the dangers of the trails.....wow long rant.

Last edited by Maelstrom; 07-20-03 at 12:29 AM.