Old 07-15-06, 07:55 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congratulations on your new addiction!

I don't know anything about Zeus, but if the wheels seem solid and true, I'd ride them. I'd put new tires on them-- I wouldn't trust the age or the glue job.

50x15 isn't a bad race gear, but you might want to add a 48 and a 49, and maybe something a bit smaller for spin training (or add the 16 cog)

Check with locals about tires. I haven't ridden there, but it sounds like you could be fine on just about anything. Some tires are slipperier on some wood tracks, but if you're only racing Marymoor, talk to other people who ride there.

I still ride 165 cranks, but my primary track is 45 degree wood, and I ride the whole track, and often need to go slow up high. People do occasionally call me old school. You could probably ride longer cranks, but despite a lot of argument, there doesn't seem to be much documented performance difference with crank length. On a pursuit bike you can use just about any length, as long as you're really careful in warmups. Sprinters (all the way to the top) still use 165. I'd keep the existing cranks at least for the first year-- any performance improvement is likely to be miniscule compared to the improvements just from racing a lot.