Thread: Big Ring Week
View Single Post
Old 07-16-06, 10:28 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
I took three solo rides this week, 25,40 & 50 miles. My riding buddies were all sick or out of town. I decided to do every mile in the Big Ring. While the 25 miler is pretty flat, the hills on the other two rides were such that I normally would take them in a moderate to low gear. The lowest gear I used was 52/24. And to my surprise, my overall average speed might have actually been a little faster than usual. I'm trying to build up the hill climbing muscles and feel pretty good about this accomplishment.
As I have only just got a road bike, I am contemplating a test to see if I can climb THE HILL in any gear on the thing. 1 mile long-15% average with one section after the bend of 25%. Then there is the rest of the ride that has a hill for 2 miles and climbs from sea level to 800 ft but there is an optical illusion in the middle of this that looks as though it goes uphill slightly for about 800yds. It is completely flat but due to the illusion- you sail up it. Then there is the third hill. Sea level again, and right from the beach you climb to the top of Beachy Head- One of the South Coast landmarks. After the previous two hills, I have no legs left and just rely on the fact that I will have no more climbing to do after I have done it. Then it is down to Fuscardi's on the seafront for a Brie and Bacon Baguette with a couple of Coffees to finish off the ride. (Changed off the pies for a healthier snack)

Done it plenty of times on the MTB and in fact was the first ride my (ex)riding partner took me on. Still get sentimental when I do it, But also wonder why no one else will do it with me.

Spike Milligan