View Single Post
Old 07-19-06, 01:39 PM
filtersweep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to start preaching, but "warrior" ?? What war? And how is urban riding under the purview of singlespeed & fixed? If you honestly feel like you are "risking your life" when you ride, I believe you have a problem.

I can't stand pissant bike riders who I have carefully passed when I am driving, who procede to split lanes, run the red, then I need to pass them again. Especially if they are swerving unpredictably. You might want to filter in traffic and hold a decent line when you ride. I find this "I am a vehicle on my bike, respect me, I have a right to use the road" attitude completely at odds with "I can run red lights and the rules don't apply to me." It seems if you want respect on the road, you should earn it by playing by the rules of the road.

Seriously, it need not be an "us against them" proposition. There is a zen to cycling that finds peace with motorized traffic. It isn't without its bumps, and there will always be a$$hole motorists--- but the answer to a$$hole motorists is NOT to be an a$$hole cylist.

I guess there are different schools of thought. I prefer to "share" the road. It may be my right to "own" it, but there are enough drivers out there who act like they "own" it that it seems better to lead by example rather than stooping to their level. Besides, it is much more enjoyable riding without a chip on my shoulder... or always having to look over my shoulder or watch my back.

Originally Posted by teiaperigosa
share off

we know what it is to risk our lives and flirt with danger...protect ourselves while being looked down upon by those who threaten us...
sure there are drivers who may have or think they have respect for cyclists to diffferent extents, but in the grand scheme of things, the roads are not designed for our safety...

when push comes to shove, it's often safer to break road 'rules' (ie...running red lights) and take advantage of the situation than to sit back and wallow further in the margins...

big city riding, small city riding, suburb riding, country riding...what are yalls techniques for staying afloat in the shark infested waters?

in light of this thread..... http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=211772

although I prob do it less in NYC, in smaller cities or outskirts I like to do the take the whole lane trick, and look back (not too excessively that I'm not watching my front) trying to make or at least feint eye contact (with a fully turned head) with the driver...the key here is to let them know that I've actively decided to take the WHOLE lane, and that they better not fuk wit me and approach my personal space...swerving in the lane while looking back can clarify if the subtle look is unclear to the driver... this gives space so that if the driver does try to press past you, you are not locked between the passing car and a curb or rear view mirrors

another big thing that I put a lot of emphasis riding a lot is eye contact...especially in areas where there are four way stop signs, or you are running a red light...again...the key is to let the driver know that you see them, and that you are focused on them as you make your decision...let them know that you are actively making the decision to claim right of way, or steal it from the driver (great tool for when the yellow light just turns and you've decided to go)

annother big thing is positioning through red lights...I usually get as far to the left side of the road as I can so that I can maintain speed but swerve right if there is an approaching car...I look left first, then right...if the left is clear then I look right, and if the right is clear I go. If either way is not clear, you can swerve with the traffic of the car that is approaching you

did I say eye contact? if I see a red light ahead and there's a stupid driver pressing to get around me, I'll watch him, and show him that I'm not pressed nor scared because he is reving the engine...a nice open hand signal toward the street light is a nice demonstrative gesture

some of these techniques (especially the eye contact...lol) will provoke either a compassionate driver to show a little more respect for you( a smile or nod is not uncommon) or a respectless driver to show you less respect ( a loud honk or an attempt to run you off the road)....
this is the give and take, but I'd rather have a bit of space to maneuver if someone is gonna try to run me over...

share off techniques