Old 07-21-06, 02:40 PM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The problem with the poll is none of the options capture the right answer. I'd say better than any of the last 7. But you link this option with best ever. The Lance years are not the best TDFs. 1999 was neat because of the comeback, and 2003 was a suspensful race, probably the best of the 7. But 1969, and 1989 clearly surpass the last 7. Heck I'd argue that 1985 did also, with the battle between Lemond and Hinault. And there are a number of other good ones before my time, such as the battles between Anquetil and Poulidor, and Gaul's big comeback set out in another thread, then back to Coppi.
,and his fellow italian rival. The TDF has a very long storied history, and I'm afraid the frame of reference for most americans is very narrow.
Merlin don't dispair. I think it is like that for all sports not just cycling in the US. It is hard for someone born in 1969 such as myself to reflect on the tour in 1969. Humans are visual creatures, so what they see is what they know. This is the best tour I have seen, but I have to admit ignorance to tours in the 60's. I think the 2003 & 2004 series between the Yanks and Sox along with the 86 world series was the best baseball I have seen. I am sure there were epic battles in the 1920, 30, ect, but I wasn't around then.

The good news is I continue to learn more about the history of the tour by reading post from you and guys like Laggard and Devil.

Richard