sivat
Geek Extraordinaire

Bikes: Bianchi Advantage Fixed Conversion; Specialized Stumpjumper FS Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LóFarkas
Jesus ****ing Christ in damned heaven, what are you talking about?

1. Has been addressed. If you flip that stem (yeah, keep the bars right side up...), it will point upwards quite a bit, so you can remove spacers. It won't look like a bumbike. it will look like a bike set up by a knowledgeable person. Having your bars a bit higher on a custom bike isn't embarrassing, You may have short arms, bad back, whatever. Having 2 inches of spacers and then the obligatory "look, I'm cool, I have a drop stem" stem on a custom is embarrassing. As I said, there is a minute stiffness and weight gain as well.

2. WTF? seriously. Just draw a little triangle for yourself (ESL q: what do you call a triangle that has 2 sides of equal length? And one that has a right angle?) The ****ing bar will be in the ****ing same position. Which part of that don't you understand?

Of course, in the end it will turn out that SC knows it's not a perfect setup and will change it once he gets everything dialed in... and here we are arguing about someone else's bike like three fools...

Edit: 32flavours: I love that thing to death. Congrats. Somehow the curvy TT works for me, and I have a soft spot for bikes with well-mounted colour-coordinated fenders anyway. I'd change the bars, stem and brake lever but the rest is lovely
1.I still stand that a bike set up by a knowledgeable person will have both the look and feel the rider wants. The bike looks better with the stem parallel to the ground. They make spacers for a reason.

2. We're both wrong. By flipping the stem, the bars will stay in the same place, you were right about that, but by removing the spacers the bars will actually move forward a bit. The flex and weight are really not an issue. Neither one will change noticably. (Isosceles and right triangles, respectively). Perhaps he will change it, but I like it the way it is. The steering will feel quicker and the stem looks right.

Sintesi Conversion Serotta Track