Old 07-25-06, 02:38 PM
mecheng
Captain Slow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dutret
Cars do this on both sides too. look at the yellow and white lines on any well used curve. What I don't really understand is why this almost leads to you getting hit? You are in the states right?

It seems like you would either be on the white line all the time to stay as far from cars as possible or you would at least be on the white line where the other cars cross the yellow so you can take the turn as fast as is safely possible. Cars do this because the traffic in the other direction is also at the inside of thier lane at the apex. A bike should be no different. Instead of following the yellow start closer to the yellow then cut to the white and then back out by the yellow.

Maybe they should stay in thier lanes but everyone expects this behavior because everyone does it and it makes the corners the smoothest they can be no matter what the speed.
Well, okay, what I'm talking of are the cars going my way. So when I have a right turn, they have a left turn and they turn in too tightly to put their wheels over the yellow line. Btw, it's a one lane road either way.

As you mention, I start my turns closer to the yellow, dive in on the inside and come out close to the yellow again. BUT, remember these are switchbacks with alternating left and right turns, AND most of them are blind to boot! I know the road pretty well, but if a car crosses the yellow line either when turning in (left turn) or coming out of a curve (right curve and they're going too fast/too lazy to mind their lane) I may simply not see them. I'm very careful to stay away from the yellow line, but it's the drivers who **** up