View Single Post
Old 07-26-06, 10:00 AM
Keith99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
There is a certain truth to that. Generally, you position holds true not only in cycling but in all major sports championships. But in the rare instance the event can make the star. Particularly considering the media exposure that's available today. I can't name that year about Eddy because I was an infant when it happened. I know that there is a long storied history to the tour, but the coverage today allows for memories to become more entrenched. I had never seen bike racing on tv until the late 80s. The first time I saw a lot of TdF stages were during the Indurain years.

Also, you ignore the fact that the reason there were no favorites this year is because of the scandal. They were ripped away right before the start. Was there a significant story as to why there were no favorites in the 2 tours you mentioned?

And are you forgetting that Floyd Landis was in this tour? I seriously doubt that he will fade away into oblivion.

Was one of those tours in the 90's?
Yes one was in the 90s. You may know which one. If others can't get it then I rest my case. (Of course if they can't at least make a decent guess I'd say I could rest a case that no one remembers anything about cycling. Surprisingly none of the previous winner free years were related to WW I or II.