Old 07-26-06, 01:02 PM
centexwoody 

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mine 'road bike' is an MTB

Since I only own one bike & went from off-road to country roads, I've slowly converted my 23" Giant MTB to more comfortable road riding. Stem extension to get bars even with seat, changed out seat (on 4th one) & seat post to raise the seat to more efficient riding extension, have put road slicks on it but will put Specialized 26 x 1.0 road tires on it this week. The steel frame is hefty, though, and it tops out at 35 lbs - sturdy but not easy to load around and definitely requires strength to carry it up flights of stairs, etc. The new tires may get the weight down to 30 lbs.

My main gripe with the MTB conversion is the gearing. I ride almost exclusively in the large ring and in gears 3/4/5/6. Still not enough to be very efficient on the road. 2 weeks ago I rode 56 miles and spent most of the time in high gear 6 cranking out the miles. There are also limits to what kinds of rear racks or panniers or anything else I can put on it.

My next bike will be a Surly CrossCheck frame built with my own components specified - the MTB has served well for road riding for a year but it is at its limit. Next will probably be to convert MTB to a single-speed and let it be the 'beater bike' hanging in my garage.