Old 07-27-06, 09:00 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by guncollector
Y'know, I get the distinct impression that some--not all mind you--here like nothing more than to criticize and berate those beginner/recreational cyclists who spend their hard-earned money on an expensive bike.
YUP! The same individuals have other names to berate other riders. I don't claim to know all of them, but in the short time I've been road riding I've learned a few. Here goes:
Clydesdale: Any cyclist over 200 lbs.
Fred: Older cyclist who usually rides an older bike and (supposedly) is among the first to get dropped in a group ride.
Poser: Cyclist who has the 'correct' bike, matching jersey, helmet, shorts, sox, gloves etc. but does not quite have the cycling skill sets to match the quality of the equipment.
Some may disagree with the accuracy of these definitions and there certainly are other names I've not listed here. However, I think your other comment is also correct; most cyclists are into cycling and respect others regardless of their skill level. I just ignore the conceited jerks and don't let them spoil my fun. It pisses them off big time.