Old 07-28-06, 02:30 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by godspiral
AFAIK, the recipe for cheating with steroids in cycling is to apply a patch to your scrotum after stages to help speed recovery. Letting you use small amounts when you need it, so that you don't step over the red line. You most definitely can pass 100 tests and fail one, if you either screw up, or somehow a reaction with something else happens (alcohool, cortizone, natural rush from winning?)

To answer another question on this page, the expectation for most riders is to have low testosterone levels after a difficult hill climbing day (bonk should be even worse, I'm guessing). That's why they need to top off levels.
Testosterone is a hormone. I don't think you can "run out" of it. It's not a nutrient like sodium or suger.

The patch is about elevating testosterone levels to higher than normal to stimulate the body to repair itself faster. Not to "top off" a low testosterone level.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter