View Single Post
Old 07-30-06, 06:46 AM
twbradford

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintAndrew
i was completely utterly ****ing around with that statement it was not meant to induce any responses, but you bring up a strang point that asians don't have the easy-living of europe or the US, but i would have to argue that it's completely irrelevent. cycling is a blue-collar sport and has been from the beginning and it's a well-known that almost all pro cyclists come from some challenging background. cipollini was sickly and was not expected to live as a child. indurain grew up on a basque country farm. armstrong from a housing project born to a 17 year old abused mother. and these are just a few of the very greatest cyclists from the recent past.

i just think bike racing as a sport is not developed in asia right now.

Dude!!!! Cycling is a blue collar sport? I don't think so. How many blue collars is going to lay out a 1000 bucks to bike? The average new low end road bike runs 700 bucks, helmet 40, shoes 80, gloves 20, socks 6, shorts 50, jersey 40.......

All cyclist begin on a trike...then move up to the 3 speed, then to the bmx-type bike....but then most blue collars stop there and move on to the beat up chevy or dodge truck. There are few that venture in the mountain bike world.... to make the leap to competition level or even performance road cycling requires some investment in time and money.