Old 07-30-06, 06:10 PM
banthevan

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Raleigh Elan, Raleigh M-Trax 600, Raleigh custom ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I returned from SFO to Manchester, U.K. on May 31 with my Cannondale T800 on American Airlines. I had to queue at check-in twice: (1) to buy the $20 bike box and (2) to check in The bike box is BIG and I didn't have to take the wheels off or any racks (O.K., the size of the bike is "Small"!). I arrived with one large roll of wide clear tape (try another type and more rolls: I used it all up) and a pack of pipe insulation both from a small hardware store. Just had to twist the handlebars around, drop the tyre pressures & remove the pedals.... That was the hard part. My Topeak Alien 2 didn't have enough leverage & getting help was unbelievable (don't expect any help whatsoever from AA or airport staff, they couldn't be less caring). I just managed to remove one and squashed the bike in the box. I put as much equipment as I could in the box with the bike (I'd just done trip down the coast from Seattle) and taped it up. It was opened by TSA but everything was fine when I got to the other side. Also, I didn't have to pay the (expected) $80 since I think it was classed as part of my allowance (I packed 2 full rear panniers into a plastic bag & had that checked in; my handlebar bag & front panniers (one inside the other) were carry-on)). Note: due to having to "check in" twice and the pedal removal problem, I missed the flight I was supposed to be on (they did put me on another 40 minutes later at no extra cost) ... and I arrived at the airport with 3 hours in hand!