View Single Post
Old 08-01-06, 01:48 AM
Merriwether
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like a lot of you on these forums, I admire a good utility bike. That said, there just isn't much demand for them in the U.S. Most of the country is pretty spread out, and everyone owns a car. Bicycles are bought for recreation almost exclusively. No, this isn't a terribly insightul response to the question, but it's true nonetheless.

Those who really want a good bike to perform utilitarian tasks are few are far between, and a large fraction of them probably read these forums...

I have to say, though, that one drawback to utility bikes like the Dutch imports or the Breezers is that they are not set up to carry a lot of additional cargo, apart from a rider. One would need to augment the bikes somehow, and not so easily, to replace a lot of car trips that Americans make to big grocery stores and the like.

For my money, the best utilitarian bike for most American conditions is a touring bike. It's got road geometry, and so it can make good time on the pavement. On the road, it's faster than a Breezer or an upright Dutch-style bike. It's designed to carry heavy loads. Not only is the frame strong, but it is set up for a front rack, and has long rear stays for large rear panniers or bags. A rider can carry a lot of groceries or other items on such a bike, not just a newspaper and a few frozen dinners. It's got strong enough wheels to stand up to bad roads, too.

It is expensive to get a good tourer and kit it out for carrying lots of stuff, though. Racks, fenders, good bags, lights, a kickstand, etc., are all sold separately. Furthermore, one problem that is very hard to solve is to find a chainguard in the U.S. that will work with a front derailler. Despite the compromises, a tourer is still the most practical utility bike, in my view--- once you have one set up, anyway.