View Single Post
Old 07-29-03, 11:16 AM
sebring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best ride yet!

I was determined to get a ride in today whether it was good day or not. It started off cloudy, the weather report is calling for rain all day today. 10 miles in, it got sunny. SWEET! I live along the Delaware Bay, but when I started there was actually very little wind for a change. The flags always are pointed straight out. THis morning they were either hanging down, or would get blown around a little. Cruising to see some small towns that I've never been to before although they are all in riding distance, I have huge, clear shoulders, very little debris. The small towns all looked really nice. As I approached the smallest town which was around the 30-35 mile mark, the road surface went from asphalt to tar and chip. There was a lot of loose gravel, and I was scared I was going to pop a tube, but never did. At this point the winds picked up again to there normal 10+ MPH. Of course it always comes off the bay so it was a head wind at this point and remained that way for the rest of the ride. That was ok though, because I discovered what my perfect preride meal needs to be, slept great, and did a recovery spin yesterday so I felt very strong. I got home and had an average speed lower than what my early expectations hoped for, but 18.8 MPH average is not bad at all. I look out the window now and it's getting cloudy again and windy. I timed it perfectly, ate what's right for me before the ride and during the ride. All in all I did 50.3 Miles in 2 hours and 40 minutes, at 18.8 MPH. A personal best. This was the 4th time I tried a 50 mile ride, and they;ve all been solo.