Re Cycle
Re Cycle

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Kona Kileuea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Details

Well, I will pay closer attention next time I ride, but here are some details. The frame is Specialized Sequoia size XS (47 cm). I am using Shimano SPD 505 pedals with a 38 cm Specialized Motodiva women's shoe. The overlap issue was immediately noticed. The person at the bike shop who sold it to me, seemed extremely experienced and very knowledgeable--esp re fit, riding posiition, etc. I expressed my concerns at the time, and he was the first to tell me how common toe overlap was, and that many riders learn to live with it. So that is what I am trying to learn with this post--how you experienced riders "live" with it.

I have been out of bicycling for a while, but in prior times I rode centuries, did long distance pannier touring, etc. The only bumping I ever recall was my heel hitting some fully loaded panniers on some prior bikes I owned. Wierd for me to have a new bike and feel this way. But like I said, bought this bike because I love the ride, and now I am trying to learn to deal with overlap.

I did take the bike out to a parking lot and made circles to try and determine my "safe range" the first day I rode the bike. In my mind, I absolutely need to have that range ingrained and practiced in my head before I feel I can safely ride this bike. . I also found some spacious business center type areas where I could ride in the evenings turning corners, making u-turns etc. at different rates of speed right on a street, so I can further assess my range and where the potential problem will arise. I have only owned the bike three days, and don't feel I completely understand where the problem arises--but even a right or left turnonto a tight city street can cause overlap. I am not racing around the corners, as that is impractical given the environment. I have also mounted the bike in the hallway of my hosue and pedaled backward while shifting the handlebars. I am just really surprised at how little shift in bars it takes to make the toe hit.

So if anybody has ideas on predal position, turning techniques, etc., that might help me get around this issue, I'd really appreciate it. And thank you everybody for your suggestions and remarks so far. I am new to this forum and so far I'm impressed with all the great information I'm finding here.