Old 08-05-06, 05:58 PM
Tom Pedale

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by superslomo
I know this has been said before, and I know I'm not the only one feeling like it, but I feel cheated as a fan.

Watching the tour, and that stage win was a really tremendous thing, and I pulled for the guy, and was drawn in by his story as were so many people, and the incredible comeback in the race was (or might have been) a moment for the ages not just for cycling but across the lines of different sports.

But now...

It's hard to realize that it was just a big joke. I feel like a complete sucker... even if "everyone" was doing it, it's still hard to have someone you pulled for get caught.

I'm going to keep on riding, and getting joy from it, but I don't know if I'm watching the tour next year. Anyone else?
A lot of people were cheated by this...not just the fans..the second place finisher Pereiro who won't get to celebrate his victory on the Champs-Elysees in front of the fans. Also, the future stars of the sport.
Will corporations continue to sponsor teams? If future sponsorship budgets are smaller rider's salaries are affected. Perhaps OLN won't broadcast the tour next year (one post has already stated they won't)
A cheater affects so many things by his selfish actions. We all suffer as a result.

In spite of this, I will watch next year and hope that the winner is not determined by a lab test..