Old 08-07-06, 05:14 AM
Karlotta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bugmenot
A few issues.

Who actually does the testing and how is the sample handled? Is it really just a couple of French guys? Just curious, because if the testing isn't monitored closely and the sample doesn't get handled with strict security, I wouldn't believe it's results, either positive or negative. In particular, the French have to much to gain from this to be solely trusted with the process.

Also how do we know that ratios of certain chemicals in one's body can't get wildly skewed after one has performed a multi-day endurance run? How do we know how that activity combines with weird food and legal drugs?

It seems to me that to get a true read on what "normal" is for a person, you'd have to lock them away somewhere and monitor their body chemicals as they exercise in known no-drug conditions.

That said, I guess one thing we know is that some tests were okay and only one wasn't, and that coincided with particularly good performance. I think that along with the fact that it was a low level of etesto rather than the presence of something makes it less likely that some frenchy added something nefarious.
1. The French have more to lose if their biggest atheletic event is shrouded in scandal and the whole race tainted becasue of this. So if there were motivation to fake the test, it would be to prevent it.

2. Weird food and legal drugs cannot produce the anomaly of exogenous testosterone in one's system. Unless you are claiming someone spiked his food. There is NO scientific evidence that would indicate that Mr. Landis' cortisone shots or thyroid medication has any effect on testosterone. One medical expert said, if anything, it would inhibit natural T production.

3. This is impractical. It would have to be done for every athlete. Sounds to me like you just want to let em keep juicing and stick your head in the sand.