View Single Post
Old 08-07-06, 08:57 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I "unfixed" my bike.

Just thought I would share: After commuting fixed since February or so, I put a 16 tooth freewheel on my conversion in lieu of the cog. After a collision with a mini-van wherein I went over the hood and into traffic I really got to thinking about the fixed gear thing. Sure, it was a blast to ride and I am certain that I am not done with the whole thing, but I am just not sure it was the safest thing for my day-in-day out commute.

The problem was not that I could not slow down; I kept my brake and could stop just as fast or faster than on my other bikes. Rather, it was the fact that I could not coast that sometimes led to safety issues. In my case, the van turned right without signalling (I should not have been there). As I came into contact with the right side of the van, I tried to coast and turn with it while leaning against it. It was trying to coast that resulted in my being thrown up and over the hood of the van and into traffic.

Anyway, I now ride the thing as a single speed and am loving it. I even took it on a major local 5-mile hill climb and did just fine at 70 gear inches. Ultimately though, 72 seems like the sweet spot to me. I may switch back during the winter for some better traction etc. but for now, I am very pleased with my decision to "unfix" my daily commuter.

Be careful out there. I know many of us ride for different reasons, but I wonder if some of us are seeking hipness over safety.

The old man (34 and getting smarter).
Troy