Old 08-08-06, 05:55 AM
Bobby Lex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fivetenfrank
Last poster was correct.

Low intensity, long rides. If you have to do a video, I suggest the Chris Carmichael (CTS) Tme Trial Video. Lots of sitting in the saddle, cranking away.

Your first couple of spring races should be training races really. You probably wont get your "legs" until late spring/ early summer. Any sooner than that I fear you'll be toasted by mid summer.
Yes, but....

Even Carmichael says you can/should do one high-intensity ride a week during your foundation phase.

So, here's my suggestion:

1. Read Carmichael's book, The Ultimate Ride, and Friel's book, The Cyclist's Training Bible, to get an idea of how "periodization" works, and how to build an annual training plan that has you peaking at the right time of your racing season.

2. During the winter do long, steady, distance rides on the weekends. Do "power" work on the trainer one weekday (high-resistance, low cadence); Do interval work on the trainer one weekday (Carmichael CTS, or Spinervals DVD); do leg-strength and core work off the bike 2 other weekdays.

3. Increase intensity and decrease distance as you approach race season.

Start off with a cheapo entry-level trainer. After a year or two, if you discover that riding a trainer consistently over the winter is something you can actually tolerate, then get yourself a Cyclops or other higher-end trainer. I would venture to guess that most trainers actually see very little use (like most excercise equipment, in general). The more expensive the trainer, the bigger the waste of $ if it doesn't get used regularly.

Bob