View Single Post
Old 08-08-06, 02:49 PM
weed eater
Patrick Barber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been searching for the right handlebar bag for a while, and i'm not done yet.

I tried a cheap-ish "Detours" model from REI but found I didn't like the Klickfix, which is really big and also, very ugly when not in use (and I don't use my HB bag all the time).

My wife bought an Arkel and while we were both impressed by many of the design features, it simply rode too high and affected steering too much. If I can figure out a way to mount one low (say, a second stem attached to the steering tube, with a little cut-down chunk of handlebar to mount the bag on), I may consider the Arkel for my soon-to-be-built Kogswell P/R. But I dunno.

Currently I am using a very old, faded '70s era Kirtland nylon bag, the kind that uses the wire bracket over the stem, and shock cords. I got this at a local used bike store for about $5. It was filthy so I soaked it in oxy-clean and then ran it through the washer and hung it dry! It works fine, looks OK, and if I don't load it full, it doesn't affect handling too much.

I really like this design... if you want to ride without the bag, it takes a few seconds to remove the entire bag and "mounting system," and it's lightweight and if you want to take the bag off at a coffee shop or something, it's not difficult at all, it takes about a minute to remove it while leaving the rack in place. I wish this type of bag was still being made. You can find 'em on eBay, and maybe on craigslist. Maybe I'll hoard some of the racks and start to sew my own bags for them.

Anyway, please keep us informed with your findings...I don't think my search is over.

Last edited by weed eater; 08-08-06 at 03:12 PM.