View Single Post
Old 08-09-06, 09:11 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Lighten up! your summer touring setup

My touring gear loads continue to lighten up and make the bike more nimble and capable of riding longer distances in a day comfortably. I put down 135 miles on it Monday, including a mountain pass and about 35 miles of gravel and trail.

The ultralight setup I'm still fine tuning isn't for everyone, but is everything I need to stay comfortable and warm in summer tours around these parts. Tarp, sleeping system, sleeping pad, stove, pot, first aid kit, extra warm clothing, etc; the full kit.

Fits into two, bread loaf sized compression sacks, a couple of side pocket thingies, plus a mini front rack. gear setup is probably under six pounds. I haven't weighed out all the components, but I am talking QUANTUM LEAP away from full panniers. On mondays' ride i was moving as well in the hundredth mile as i was in the first 10. this full kit camping and gear setup is LIGHT.

I have applied Yvon Chouniard's maxim about packing gear, "Take away, until there is nothing left to leave behind." I have two touring bikes, a Long Haul Trucker and a 520. the LHT is my "Heavy tourer" for long trips, winter season trips, etc, and the 520 is turning into my "light and fast" long distance style tourer.

I'll post a few pictures from this upcoming weekend.

Last edited by Bekologist; 08-09-06 at 12:48 PM.