Old 08-11-06, 10:31 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jcm
As much as I love 3-speeds, I would choose another bike to tour on. I agree with those above - pick a cheap and available rigid mtb. Here's my '88 Trek 830. It's 7lbs lighter than my 3-speed. You could probably get this for $100. I paid $500 back in '88. A trek 930 is slightly better with regard to components, but this bike is bombproof enough and has as many hardpoints as my Trek 520, a dedicated tour bike.
http://i1.tinypic.com/23uoniv.jpg
Just checking back in here:

Please don't mis-understand my comments. I really do love 3-speeds. They are the inspiration for the current setup on both my old MTB and my Trek 520. No one knows how many millions of 3-speeds are in service the world over, on all types of terrain and in all conditions - a billion is as good a guess as any other. Bottom line: Among all bikes having multiple gears, a good argument is that the English/Euro 3-speed in fair shape is more rugged and reliable than many other types in great shape. I include MTB's like mine as well.

It wouldn't be my first choice, given the inexpensive options, but if that's what I had, then I'd do it. I'm envious of you for your adventure.