View Single Post
Old 08-11-06, 06:09 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
This is one of the most positive things I have read for advocacy on these forums. Congrats, kjmillig.

My own experpeice: I was a high school student in the early 70's Back then, the "bike boom" was in full swing. It was true that a lot more kids rode back then, but not to school. Reason: Partially social pressure, but mostly it was fear of theft and vandalism. There were bicycle posts outside the cafeteria, but if you locked even a beater bike there, it would be gone or destroyed when you went to get it. School officials did not respond, even when some well-heeled parents complained.

I was lucky. I had a science teacher who rode to the school on a Raleigh professional. He was truly a dedicated teacher, and he let me and another student keep our ten-speeds in his office. (He was a floating teacher, which is to say didn't have a classroom of his own.) Oh yeah,,, I got a "B" in physics.
Lucky me.

There was talk of a bicycle club forming, and this teacher said he would be the faculty advisor. Alas, it never came to be.

Figures from the LAB: in 1969, approximately 50% of American school kids walked or biked to school. Today fewer than 15% do. What the heck has happened here?

Fact: There used to be a bicycle rack at my old elementary school. In those days, that rack was full of boys and girls "hi-risers" on a school day. Some years ago, the entire front of the building was rebuilt. The bike rack vanished. The road way in front of the building was widened by an entire lane. Reason? You guessed it. It was done to accomodate the SUV's that are now parked in front at the start and close of a school day. What the heck is wrong with this country?

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. Again, you are to be admired for what you want to do.