Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
Like Brian said, it is rhetorical question and clearly the answer is not meant to be 'more bike lanes'; therefore your comments and Serge's are misguided and don't belong here. Now quit bickering about it.

With all due respect, if you meant the question to be rhetorical, you did not write your post that way.

You started out by explaining that a cyclist had died and that the incident had, "has sparked outrage and spurred action from citizen activists." Then you wrote that

"The incident has caused some cyclists to question the priorities of bike advocates and city planners. . . ."
That seems to open the quesion about what their priorities should be.

Then you added:

One commenter asked,

“what is the more important fight at this time: more bike infrastructure or vastly improved law enforcement to protect cyclists?”
Again, that opens the question to discuss those two specific ways.

Randya, after this post, I'll respect your newly-imposed limit, but if you don't want to discuss one of the topics raised in your OP's, it would be helpful if you would say so. And in future threads, if Brian tries to shut down the discussion of ideas he is unable to dispute, I will feel free to call him on it (at least in threads he has not started). But I am glad that some Portland folks appear to be figuring out that most "bike facilties" don't do much, if anything, for cyclists.

Randya, I apologize to you for not understanding the limit you wanted to place. And unless someone says something that needs responding to, that's the end to my comments on this topic in this thread.

On the randya's topic: I agree with Chipcom and Genec--enforcing traffic laws on cars, including removing the right most drivers feel they have to go 5-10 mph above the speed limit, would be an enourmous help to cyclists.

I noticed in the comment section to the article, that one of the peole said that failure to yield was somehow far less bad than running a stop sign. I don't even get that mentality. Failure to yield is one of the most serious offenses, because it means you automatically are causing a conflict. Putting enforcement on that offense--and taking a look at the penalties--would seem a good place to start.