Old 08-12-06, 07:06 PM
BayBruin

Bikes: Trek Portland & Trek 830 Antelope Mountain bike (with slicks) circa 1991

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Questions for the Board

I love my LBS but it's closer to work than home (ones around home suck). Also, I just think it makes all the sense in the world to do most of your repairs and maintenance yourself. I feel good when I take care of my bike...and it has taken care of me over the years. So...

What home bike stand would you recommend. I've read a few reviews with mixed results. I don't want to spend more than $140 if possible...less if I can still get agood quality. This stand looks decent but you guys are the pros on this stuff so let me know.... http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDe...AC-TOO-brs-70b

Also, how do you adjust the rear derailor? I had done some cleaning of my chain, cassette and derailor and it seems like after that I was getting a lot of chain noise in certain gears (large chain ring and mid back gear) that I could relieve by putting some slight pressure on my downshifter. I have a TRek Antelope 830 mountain bike circa 1991.

Also, how difficult is it to get good at truing your wheels? I'm a big guy and I get out of true every so often...the guys in my LBS told me to get a book but that they weren't comfortable showing someone how to do it (liability issues??). Also, is it even a good idea to get a truing stand in addition to a normal cycling stand?

Thanks in advance for your help.