View Single Post
Old 08-12-06, 07:41 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by BayBruin
I love my LBS but it's closer to work than home (ones around home suck). Also, I just think it makes all the sense in the world to do most of your repairs and maintenance yourself. I feel good when I take care of my bike...and it has taken care of me over the years. So...

What home bike stand would you recommend. This stand looks decent but you guys are the pros on this stuff so let me know.... http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDe...AC-TOO-brs-70b

Also, how do you adjust the rear derailor?

Also, how difficult is it to get good at truing your wheels?
1. I've never personally used that Ultimate repair stand but many others seem to give it very high marks.

2. Check the Park Tool website for step-by-step derailleur adjustments. You almost surely just need about a half turn of additional cable tension.

3. Getting the side-to-side wobble out of a wheel is a piece of cake. To do a good job on wheels, however, you are going to have to learn to balance spoke tensions. I would seriously suggest getting a Park or Wheelsmith tensiometer. Get all of the spokes tensioned equally first, then worry about untrueness by tightening and loosening opposing pairs of spokes equal amounts.