Old 08-15-06, 12:01 PM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by ViperZ
I'm planning on painting a chrome fork, and I was wondering...what the best DIY method is, with out roughing the surface up?
As stated above, CLEAN the chrome well with 3M Wax & Grease Remover. Available at automotive paint supply stores. Handle the frame with latex gloves, fingerprints on chrome create fisheyes.
If you are painting solid/metallic colors, you can primer first. This will "help" with adhesion.
If you are painting with Candy Colors, just start painting. Several LIGHT coats produce better results. With Candies you may need as many as 8-10 coats for deep even color.

NOW, as you discovered previously, leaning this kind of paint on ANYTHING will cause scratches!!!!!!!!

PAINT DOESN'T STICK TO CHROME!

As an alternative, you could go the powdercoat route.
Not a DIY project, but an option with "better" adhesion. You could probably lean the bike against things without scratches, but a whack from a tumble would probably still take out chunks.

Back to painting, I would mask the areas to be left chrome, scuff the rest with a Red ScotchBrite pad. Then primer with auto quality primer (PPG LFDP primer). From there, you can A.) Rattle Can some color & clear. B.) Use auto quality color/clear (aka basecoat/clearcoat systems) or C.) Use acrylic paint and have a blast! (artists acrylic in tubes at art supply stores) Once you finished your artwork, you can
A.) Rattle Can some clear over it. (let it "cure" for 8-10 WEEKS before assembling (or your front deraileur will become ONE with the seattube!)
or B.) Spray automotive quality clear over the artwork. This is a catalysed clear and is ready to go in 24-48 hours. A week if you're patient.

For more info you might want to search the forum for my previous posts on painting & powdercoating.
Cheers, Dr.D

Likes For :