View Single Post
Old 08-16-06, 08:06 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Here's a packing list of an ultralight kit, and what average weights are. I'm not going to break out the postal scale to weigh this stuff, but here goes.

TARP- Integral designs 5x8 Siltarp, 8 ounces.
BIVY/SLEEP SHELL- Adventure Medical kits emergency bivy, 12 ounces.
SLEEPING WARMTH - Down vest, 10 ounces. windstopper hat, 3 ounces.

STOVE- Trangia with the smallest tripod support, and the small pot, 'luminum windscreen, and pot lifter, 1 pound.

FIRST AID KIT 6 ounces.

CLOTHES extra wool t-shirt, wool leggings, knee warmers, off the bike shorts, 2 pounds.
SHELL, Patagonia dragonfly/houdini, 5 ounces.

what else did i bring? Oh, lets see, a bear rope for the food, and a stuff sack to hang it with, 4 ounces.

extra methanol for the stove, (didn't use much) 4 ounces.

assorted sundries like toilet paper, maps, trowel, sunscreen, toothbrush... 8 ounces.

TOTAL WEIGHT- Under 7 pounds.

Add the nylon bags on the bike, another 12 ounces or so..... hmm, plus food and water, there's the heavyweight stuff there.

I am confident, with a good grocery store every couple of hundred miles, i could ride this comfortably for a weeks' tour, during a typical summer weather window. For shoulder season and winter tours I will still load up the Long Haul Trucker, and pack along the kitchen sink and the camp chair (folding!)..

Hopefully this thread will encourage some of you to try a little lightening up in your touring kit. maybe not a big deal to those of you already accustomed to ultralight bike touring, but i feel pretty pleased with this new, lightweight sum of the parts of a lightweight camping kit.