twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RealtourRoadie
I must admit, I never ride out that way. I'm not aware of a good way to get out there from where I am. I'm very blessed to have the W&OD close by with its easy access to so many good roads.
Ride the W&OD out to Purcellville and do the loop up to Lovettsville. The loop itself is around 36 miles I believe, so add that to whatever it takes you to get there. The basic route is this:

Leave the W&OD at Simpson Circle (before entering Purcellville) to the right, cut across to Rt. 9 and take a right on 9.
Take a left onto Clark's Gap.
There's a brief right, forget the name, at Waterford. You want to then take a left onto Loyalty.
At Taoylorstown, take a left onto Taylorstown Rd.
Take a left onto Lovettesville Rd.
Take a right onto 673 bringing you into Lovettesville. Go through town, there's a 7-11 on the right at the intersection of 287.
Continue on 673 to 690 (Mountain Rd.), where you take a right.
Take a right onto Rt. 9, then a left onto 690 again. It's Hillsboro Rd. at this point.
Take a left on Addler School Rd.
Take a right on Purcellville Rd.
Shortly after crossing Rt. 7, you pick up the W&OD again. Follow back to the start point.

According to Topo 6.0, it's 35 miles, with 2378 feet of total climbing. There's a mix of longish climbs and shorter, steeper climbs.

"It hurts so good..."