View Single Post
Old 08-18-06, 08:13 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cave
Have a look at www.tarptent.com for some lightweight shelters. I've ordered a double rainbow, will report back when it arrives.

Why is freestanding an issue? Most free standing tents need stakes for stability in the wind anyway. I will admit free standing is easier if you are trying to pitch on sand.
I tried a tarptent and had issues with it in high winds. Other people seem to really love them so it is either operator error or they don't camp in windy places like the desert??? They also are not really waterproof - so that in a heavy rain you get a light misting of water on the inside. This isn't a big deal in a short rains torm, but prolonged rain and a down bag would require a cover or waterproof shell on your bag. On the plus side Henry Shires will let you return your tarptent for a full refund in you are not happy with it.

I sold it and bought a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. I haven't got enough use out of it to comment yet, but it is better in wind/rain than the tarptent, but somewhat heavier and less room. Anyone used the Big Agnes tents and the MSR Hubba Hubba tents that can compare them?

I also bought a Hennessy hammock, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I am not stuck on freestanding tents as tunnel tents are a good design for lightweight and interior space. I have rarely been anywhere you can't get some pegs in - especially if you are touring with two bikes - you can just tie off to one at each end. Just make your your tunnel tent has places to guy it out well during high winds.

I also have a bivy sack, but condensation inside it isn't great unless you are camping in a cool dry place and modern tents are starting to get down to bivy weights if two people share one.

Ideally I would like to get shelter weight down to 2lbs for two people including rain and bug protection. I admire the tarp only folks, but I need some bug protection and by the time you get a tarp and bug netting system in place you are nearly at the weight of an ultralight tent.