View Single Post
Old 08-18-06, 03:25 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by outofbounds
I am still deciding on the century. I am also thinking about doing it by myself so I have a bit more time. I think for the CT challenge, they sweep the course after 7.5 hours. Im not gonna do it, get to 90 miles, and have someone say i have to get picked up!
Aerobically, I'm sure you're fine, but it is not enough to be in general shape -- there are particular muscles that need to be developed because they will be used a lot. To illustrate the problem, I average about 200 miles a week year 'round, so I'm in good shape. However, if I tried to do my wife's aerobics exercises, I'd be seriously hurting and have a heck of a time keeping up. My cardiovascular system and legs might be strong, but the muscles and technique I need for her exercises are lacking. You face the same challenge.

In addition, there are hydration, nutrition, and pacing issues that may cause you problems since you have not done a distance event before. In addition, small errors in your technique or adjustment may cause you pain well into the ride.

I think you can make 100 miles so long as you take it easy. Unfortunately, I think you'll bump up against the 7.5 hr time limit if you ride at a pace that allows you to finish. If you like adventure and have a tolerance for pain, go for it. Otherwise, you may want to train a bit more. One thing you may want to consider is postponing your decision until you see the weather. The difference between riding 100 miles under easy conditions and against headwinds/crosswinds is massive. I think that if the weather stinks, you'll be in serious pain, particularly if you don't have much experience riding in bad conditions.

Do not be fooled into thinking that changing equipment will make the ride that much easier. At the speeds you're talking about, the differences will be relatively minor.

If I were in your shoes, I would go for it. It's much more fun to try things when you aren't quite sure what the outcome will be. Be prepared to feel anywhere between really bad and really good if you do attempt the century.