Old 08-20-06, 11:41 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I would suggest sticking with some lower-end Kendas rated for 70-PSI, only as I have seen the higher-pressure hooked-bead tires to give somewhat lesser performance when 20 PSI under max.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken, the Cyclepro skinwalls also come in 1-1/4. I recall using a pair on a Raleigh Marathon mixte I sold on C-list. Great tires for the price, I must say! Best for hooked-bead rims though.

You might want to experiment with some Continental 1000s, for I recall using one on a Sturmey-Archer straight-side steel rim once with no ill effects, even at the lower PSI.

And when all else fails - put some hooked-bead 27" rims on that sucker!

-Kurt
+1, I followed Kurt's advice (from a previous thread). I'm running the 90 PSI rated Kendas on my steel rimmed Fuji but I'm only using 80 PSI. They're working real well. You might want to try Dick's Sporting Goods if they are near you. The Dick's near me was selling Kenda's for $5.00 each. I grabbed the last two they had in stock, but I think they're ordering more.