www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by J B
Kurt,
Makes sense but I don't like the idea of using a cheep tire on a nice ride.
If it is a nice machine that you're working with, why don't you swap the rims for hooked-bead 27s" then? Worth it, in my book.

Originally Posted by J B
I looked into the Continental 1000s and it seems they get some low opinions out there. In your experience, is there a better quality touring tire out there that will run slightly under their recommended PSI on my straight bead rim?
Interesting - I've always found them to be one of the best sub-ten dollar 27" clinchers out there. They look disgusting, yes, but they give considerable bang for the buck, in my book. Do note that while there is a considerable stock of them available, they are being discontinued (got this info from the Mavic distributer while at the LBS).

Originally Posted by J B
I see you have a lot of old bikes. Did you change them all over to hooked bead rims or did you find good tires and lower the PSI?
All of the machines I own have hooked bead rims stock, save for my '70 Schwinn Continental, which simply runs the cheap Kendas. Another exception would be my '61 Paramount when original - I believe straight-wall rims were the norm back then. It's running Araya 700Cs hooked-beads now, mainly as these Arayas were the only spare wheeset I had on hand at the time.

Take care,

-Kurt