Old 08-23-06, 08:08 AM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rajman
Allowing subdivision of lots to build/renovate one house into two houses. Apparently the good people of Calgary are unable to live in two storey houses if the lots are less than 35ft wide - the horror! Allowing existing property owners to build two semidetached houses on a 40ft lot with two basement suites can quadruple the density of a suburban neighbourhood, and the property owner converts a $300 000 property with no income to two $250 000 properties with between $500-$1000 dollars a month income. Of course you need to redevelop and spend capital to do this, but with that kind of profit available, you'll see people lining up to invest. Remember that in many cities there is a shortage of housing, particularly affordable housing.
I happen to think there is NO shortage of housing for those with money can live in any city in the world. There's plenty of luxury housing in New York City right now for anyone with the cash. Unfortunately, there is a shortage of affordable housing and I don't see this being rectified any time soon. I like your idea of increasing density but you would be surprised at how towns fight for any new developement because of the social implications. (Schools, Police, Fire, Sanitation). Then there's the additional cost of parking that must be taken into consideration along with this increase in density. Any new building in my town must build new parking space or the tenants will end up taking the street parking. The whole situation would be alot easier and cheaper if everyone was car free but that is not the case.