Old 08-23-06, 10:36 AM
J B
Just Ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
I would have a good bike shop verify that the rims are in fact "smooth" and not the modern "hooked" rims. If they are smooth, replace them with hooked rims. A 700c rim, would allow use of any brand of modern road tire.
alanbikehouston,
The rims I have are most definitely "smooth" and not the modern "hooked" rims. I can tell just by looking at them. Also, the way the tire wants to lift over the rim with less then the recommended amount of PSI.

I would much rather get opinions right here then from a "good bike shop". In fact I went to the LBA first, before posting to Bike Forums.
I called my LBS about replacing my old tires. At his request I did bring rim /w old tire in for him to look at. The owner of the LBS recommended one of two tires. I chose the better of the two. (Tire: Cyclepro Discovery 27" x 1 1/8. 105 lb.) I asked him how much air should I put in them. He said just put in what it says on the tire.

Now I admit, when I brought my tire and rim to him for him to see, I had no idea (at the time) what he should have been looking for. I do now. Clearly he was interested in the size and nothing else. I told him the bike was a 1980 10 speed. I would think he should have had a clue these rims could very well be smooth bead. And he is the owner of the shop of nine years. I think he recommended a bad tire for me to be truthful. I had two blow outs because of this. Thank God the bike was parked when they went off.

Anyhow, I do think with the combination of correct size tire and a lower PSI, I should be able to find something I will feel safe with. Even on smooth bead rims.

I just can't seem to find any tires below 90 PSI.

If anyone can find any tires in the size of 27" x 1 1/4 gum or skinwall and 85lbs or under I would appreciate it if you could provide a link to it.

Thanks again for all you help,
J B