Old 08-24-06, 07:05 PM
Lithuania
Oh The Huge Manatee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So yeah... I raced my first race!

First off I want to give a big thanks to DrPete for 1) getting me to come out for this race. 2) providing me with some basic training and most importantly, 3) for meeting me before the race and warming up with me.

I also want to thank the posters on this subforum for thier response on my other threads over the last few weeks. You really helped me suck it up and just enter this race.

Now for the report.

I got to the race about and hour and half before it started. I was really nervous and intimidated just hanging around so I stuck it out in the car until Pete arrived. Hanging out with him and warming up on the course really helped to come my nerves. It really was nice not feeling all alone. I really had a hard time warming up slowly. I kept shooting ahead of the Dr and my heart rate was already showing higher then normal. I was so nervous I left my water bottle in my car while warming up. The first thing I notice is the 90 degree turn is a right hand turn which I am much less comfortable with. I blame this on skateboarding. Pete tells me not to worry because everyone takes it super slow. The course is a little over a mile (1.3 I think) with an initial very short hill that goes into a nice long down hill and into the 90 turn. Once past the turn you have a little bit of flat and then you go into the long climb that basically ends right before the finishing sprint. The race is 30 minutes plus 2 laps.

Our warm up stops when we come around one last time and see everyone lined up ready to go. Maybe five minutes later we are off!

I start off just staying behind Pete since I know he is going for the win so thats obviously going to be a good wheel to follow. As we are flying down the first hill I am positioned exactly like I wanted to be. In the first 3rd of the 25? man group. As we come up to the first turn everyone DOES slow down like crazy. I was dissappointed by this because I was hoping for some fast cornering. Oh well it sure made it a lot easier. Now comming out of the corner I knew ther was going to be sprinting but it wasnt nearly as hard as I expected. Now comes the long climb. I hold my position and am feeling pretty good.

On the second lap I am flying down the hill and I realize I never hit the lap button on my computer so I hit it, or I think I do. Now I am just trying not to look like a new guy and just work on riding steady smoothly. Still feeling pretty good. As we hit the corner the second time I end up passing a bunch of people on the ensuing corner so I am feeling pretty good. I remember reading that if you arent constantly passing people you end up in the back quick. Going up the hill the second time is tougher but I am fine. I am passing more people and seeing people ahead of me get squirrly and getting yelled at. Back at the starting line I am starting to think "I might finish with the group".

Now the third lap and the slowing in the corner is getting annoying. I am still passing people on the sprint out but I am probably midpack at this point just being cautious.

On the forth lap I am starting to get fatigued. I notice on the climb that I havent been passing people anymore. I know their are few people behind me but its not a good sign.

On the fifth climb the guy next to me ask if we are the back. There are only 2 people behind us. Not good. The climb is starting to suck.

Going into the 90 the 6th time I am in the back. I sprint out and stay on but as we get to the climb I am spent and start to detatch. As I reach the top of the hill I am all by myself. Oh well. I was expecting this. I think this was the preme? lap and I was glad to still be with the group this long. As I am going down the hill for the 7th I realize my computer is stopped. @#@%%&#$! This was the data I wanted to see the most. Not my stats after blowing up!

Getting around to the starting line again I see there are only 3 laps left. I feel like I am too close to the group to wait and take my free lap so I decide to just keep going and see if I at least avoid getting lapped and maybe pick up a straggler.

I never reach any stragglers. I keep seeing people ahead of me but as I reach them I see they are people warming up for the next race! At least they arent passing me right?

I get to the last lap with no peloton behind me so I feel good not getting lapped. I take the last one slow and easy. This last hill is killing me. I think im only going like 12mph. As I get to the top and finish line I am slightly embarrassed by seeing the next riders lined up and ready to go. I go wide and pass them and pull off.

I finished! I wait in the parking lot for Pete. Thankfully it takes them a good bit for them to get back around. Makes me feel better knowing they werent THAT close to lapping me.

I did it. I entered my first race. I finished! I think I did alright. Other racers are comming up to me telling me not to be discouraged and good job. When I tell them I wasnt because it was my first race they said I did really good for my first time. This really helped to take away the intimidation I was feeling. Even the sympathy applause wasnt too bad. It kind of made me laugh but it actually made me feel good.

I cant wait until I can race again. It sucks that the season is basically over but thier might be a race or two I can do in September. STOKED!

Sorry for the super long report but I am still really excited and proud of myself for doing it.