Old 10-08-01, 11:25 PM
Udub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle Lighting Advice

Hey everybody,
I'm a mechanical engineering student at the University of Wisconsin (also a member of the UW Cycling Team) and I'm currently involved in a school design project to design a better bike headlighting system. The idea is to learn everything that is good, and bad, about current lighting systems and use that information to design a new system with all the good features and less, or none, of the bad features. I commute by bike and so I have some ideas but I'm sure there are a lot of people who have many more years of experience than I do. That's where you come in! I've put together a series of questions to help my design team get a better idea of what the cycling community would like to see in new lighting systems. I don't know if it's proper etiquette to have a bunch of really long replies in a forum so if you'd like to you can send your responses directly to my e-mail. degolier@cae.wisc.edu
Thanks for your input.

1) If you were to consider replacing your bikelight what features in a new bike light would you look for? Be specific if possible.

2) What's the worst feature on the bike light you're currently using? Second worse?

3) What's the best feature on the bike light you're currently using? Second Best?

4) Have you ever used a helmet mounted bike light? If so, do you like it? Why or why not?

5) When you use your bike to commute, do you leave your bike exposed to the elements (i.e. rain, sun, vagrants)? Do you leave your light on your bike? If so, has it been stolen? Do you fear it will get stolen?

6) Do you find your bike light to be effective in alerting drivers of your presence when you're on the road at night?

7) Do you find your bike light to be effective in appropriately lighting your path at night in order to allow you to bike at the same speed as you would during the day?

8) Rank the following bike light criteria in order of importance
Visibility to motorists
Theft proof
Satisfactory illumination of your path
Maintenance free(replacing/recharging batteries, replacing bulbs, broken mounts, ect...)
Appearance
Size (Compact vs. bulky)
Cost
Environmentally friendly(mostly the batteries)

9) What kind of bike light do you own (i.e. brand, model)? Would you recommend this light to a friend?