SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
I know the internet is strewn with various weight loss programs that involve combinations of diet & exercise. I'm for one, but which one?

I'm currently 270 pounds, and willing to ride & diet as needed to lose 60# over the next five months. (I'd like to be 210 by New Year's). Is this a realistic goal?

I have no known health problems other than being fat. I don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs, and don't have diabetes or any other chronic disease except gout, which is treated with daily Allopurinol.

Recommended websites with valid information (and minimum snake-oil) are requested. Ideas?

Thanks!
Sorry guy, but your goal is very unrealistic. To lose that much weight would require a daily deficit of 1653 calories per day, or -3.3 lbs per week (see attachment). In other words, you would need to consume 1653 less calories than you burn each day between now and January 1st.

That rate of weight loss would require either a starvation diet, or 3-4 hours of intense exercise per day, or both. It could also be dangerous, because you would risk not getting necessary vitamins and minerals if you cut your food intake too much. You'd also need to deal with incessant hunger.

Losing weight at the rate of 0.5 - 1 lb per week is much more realistic. That rate requires a daily deficit of 250-500 calories. The deficit can be achieved by eating less, or by moving more, or by doing both.

I'd recommend the following:

1) Start an exercise program. The bike is pretty efficient at burning calories, and it's easy on your joints so you can go longer than with running. Slowly work your way up to 7-10 hours of cycling per week. Go easy at first, but after a month or so start adding some intensity (you might want to get a physical first).

2) Start studying your food. Learn how many calories are in the things you eat. Try to find a few hundred calories each day you can live without.

3) If you drink sugared sodas, fruit juices, lattes, or other calorie-rich drinks...stop right now. This alone can cut hundreds of calories from your diet.

4) Identify your "problem" foods. For some it's chips and beer. For others (me!) it's cookies and crackers. If you find yourself binging on certain foods, arrange to not have them around. You might need to give them up altogether, or you may be able to have them every once in a while...only you can tell which strategy will work for you.

5) Weigh yourself each morning just after you wake up. It's a good way to stay focused on your long term goal, but don't worry if your weight bounces up and down from day to day (that's common, even if you're successfully losing weight).

6) Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day, but just keep plugging away.

7) Try to eat more fruits and vegetables every day.

Bottom line...move a little more and eat a little less and the weight will come off.

Oh, one more:

8) Start budgeting for some new clothes!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
SS-0008.gif (24.4 KB, 19 views)