Thread: roots
View Single Post
Old 08-31-06, 05:12 AM
PaladinSleeps

Bikes: KHS Urban-X and a Surly Long Haul Trucker (In progress)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
roots

Hail from the Bayou City! My name is Mat, PaladinSleeps is something i thought of sometime ago because it sounded cool. (if you want the meaning and story, just ask.) I was raised in Second Ward and grew up in Austin then moved back here. In the inner city, cycling is the only mode of transportation besides the bus. Most everyone rides cheap bikes from W--m-rt (leave it to you to fill the blanks), or second hand from local bike shops or pawn shops. I was raised to use steel bikes, my particular material is cro-moly steel. It is still fast, reliable, easy to fix, and not to mention cheap. (Besides, when the hell have you ever heard of massive kick-ass machine made of alluminum, its ok though, my Urban-X is alloy). In second ward though, you needed something that was going to get you to your job and hopefully get you back, and we Mexicans can make a bike last as long we need it. My Grandfather recommended duct tape for everything. I learned how to appreciate a bike and make it last no matter what came along.

In Austin I learned about cycling from some of the experts. People there are hardcore cyclists (home of Lance Armstrong). They taught me how to ride better, faster, and more efficient. i learned a little bit about technical specs, but I'll take the word of the frame manufacturer and dealer. They taught me about the bike from the ground up. How to rebuild, improve, and bike for life.

In Houston, I like riding my bike around Montrose, Upper Kirby/The Village, and on occasion back to 2nd Ward and in the Heights (because i don't want to get jumped). I ride fast but like to take the scene in during the twilight hours, but I haul ass and creep when I need to at night.

I love innovation, embrace change, and am open to ideas, but i'll always believe in old school.